Good, clear writing for your website says as much about you as good design. It tells people who you are, what you do and what you offer. Correct writing demonstrates attention to detail which your customers will expect when they buy your services. Good writing also shows that you put your customer first.
Here are some tips when writing for your website from BDS Digital.
Common errors – what to look out for:
• Incorrect use of the apostrophe e.g. it’s or its. Also, if there is more than one of something it is plural and doesn’t take an apostrophe before the s.
• Incorrect capitalisation: we all tend to put capital letters at the start of words we think are important but names take capitals, not common nouns.
• Misspelling words that sound the same but are written differently e.g. peak / peek; their / there; right / write. Spell or grammar checks will not always pick these up.
• Poor, sloppy or inconsistent use of punctuation such as quotation marks, brackets, question marks and, worst of all, too many exclamation marks.
• “Typos” or mistyped words. These can make you look silly and certain examples will not be picked up by spell checks e.g. glove for globe, dome for done, tome for time, hid for his.
BDS Digital works with experts in this field and will be happy to advise and help. Just give us a call on 01387 733060 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.